The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Friday, September 11, 2009

Don Lupo

Hi Bruce,

I hadn’t sent in any updates because not a whole lot has changed since I sent the last one a while ago: still self-employed, still based in Frankfurt, still doing new displays, printed electronics and functional materials consulting, still running jam sessions at an outdoor cider farm pub during the summer. After my lead customer, a Finnish paper company, restructured at the end of last year and dropped all the projects I was involved in I had a very slow first half of this year but since this probably applies to any number of other classmates as well I didn’t think that was worth a separate mention.

But I did have one experience recently that seemed worth a quick note; Dennis Philips ’65 (another emigrant to Frankfurt and a member of my church here) and I met up with the Davidson alumni group led by Peter Wagner doing the European WWII tour in Rüdesheim on the Rhine for dinner. The restaurant was a tourist trap but the company was fantastic, of course, as it consisted of Davidson grads! It was an especially nice surprise to find that classmate Bruce Darden had joined the tour. We had a good time catching up on each other’s lives, talking about life here and there and of course reminiscing as guys in middle age will tend to do. Bruce commented to me that he was impressed to see me embrace another culture and become a native and that it was probably second nature. I’m hoping that doesn’t mean I was a complete misfit at Davidson and am assuming this was meant as a compliment ;-). Bruce sent me a photo of the group but I assume he wants to send it to you himself so I will not use his picture for my note.

Hope things are well from your side,
Regards
Don

P.S. Bruce D, it was great to see you in Rüdesheim, and thanks for the photo. Give my regards to Debbie and any other classmates or almost classmates you run into.

No comments: