The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Mike Daisley

Bruce –

Having held your secretarial position loooong ago (sadly many Davidson-related things can now be described with the introductory phrase “long ago”), I feel your pain. Those pangs of anxiety as the Class Notes deadline approached have been refreshed in my mind (one of the few things) by your email request.

The main news on my end, involves a young man in my household who turned turn 15 yesterday. The many classmates who have “been there, done that” with the turbulent teen years can relate to the topsy-turvy turmoil. (Not enough alliteration, yet? Read on.) Suffice it to say that with a high school teacher for a lovely and long-suffering spouse, and a high school freshman for a wonderful and wickedly wondrous son, my skills as a certified mediator can get a pretty good workout sometimes around the Daisley household. (OK, now that’s definitely enough.)

After honing those mediation skills domestically, I do occasionally get paid for them. My law practice in civil litigation keeps me busy, if not necessarily productive. Politically, I am still pretty active in Charlotte. (I am often the “Democratic activist” that WBT Radio calls, on those few occasions it ventures away oh-so-briefly from its right-leaning radio talk-show format. It was most fun playing that role last November during live election night coverage with a Davidson poli-sci professor and a “Republican activist” who also happened to be a Wildcat alum, giving commentary on various races including the election of Charlotte’s new mayor, who is...you guessed it…a Davidson grad.)

I see where our classmate Mr. Washburn has thrown his hat in the judicial/political ring. He has mentioned that he is currently, “accepting advice on the qualities of humility, wisdom, patience and tolerance., so here’s mine. Just ask yourself, Jonathan, WWCLD -- “What would Cora Louise do?” (By the way, Jonathan and I had a marvelous conversation with Dr. Nelson at the last reunion. Having heard that she recently passed away, still very sharp until the very end, I am even more grateful for it.)

For better of worse, Mr. H, that should help you fill some space. Hope all is well with you!

--Mike
Michel C. Daisley

No comments: