The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Bill Holladay

Hey there Bruce--

Well good. I always intend to respond to your impassioned pleas for information—which are amusing and never whiny—but somehow I always miss your deadline. So the direct approach is better.

Not that I have very much to say. I lead a pretty ordinary life, thank God. LuAnne and I have been married for 26 years, blissfully child-free (although our dog, Liza Jane, could be mistaken for a spoiled two-year-old). We came to Indiana in 1984 for grad school (English) and could never bring ourselves to leave Bloomington. I’ve been with the marketing department of the Indiana University Foundation since 1987, and LuAnne is assistant director of a local arts nonprofit. I think we’re officially Hoosiers now.

Outside of work, I have too many hobbies for any grown man to legitimately pursue: baking, birding, limestone carving, cycling, gardening, vegetarian cooking, and yoga, among others. LuAnne and I both teach yoga classes at the local YMCA. (But I still can’t put my foot behind my head. People always ask that.) And we love to travel, preferably to France. Ah, the vineyards. The cafes. The patisseries. If only I could speak more than pidgin French, I’d consider moving there.

The other thing I’ll add is that I’ve finally become a basketball fan. You think NC is hoops-crazy: It’s practically a statutory requirement for residency here. I confess I never understood the game when I was at Davidson, but now I’m a die-hard Hoosiers fan. Nothing would please me more than for Davidson to knock off Purdue in Indianapolis this Saturday. I’d love to be at the game, but I’m a team leader for an Audubon Christmas Bird Count that day. Frankly, Davidson is a lot more fun to watch this year than Indiana, and has a much better chance of getting into the NCAA Tournament. Go Cats!!

I hope that’s enough for you to work with, and not too boring. I trust all is well with you, too. And thank you for being our class secretary! You do a great job, and having to cajole deadbeats like me...you deserve a medal. I would be honored to be mistaken for Bruce Holl-I-day, any day.

No comments: