The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Powell Slaughter

Hey, Bruce.

Good hearing from you, and hope Jon's (MacLean) doing well. You happened to catch me at a
good time, so I'll give you a quick update.

I've been living in Greensboro almost 20 years now, and last September
celebrated my 15th anniversary with my wife, Liz Urquhart. I finally settled in
a career track when I moved here, working as an editor and writer. After 10
years with the furniture industry's weekly "newspaper," Furniture Today, I
joined the startup team of Home Furnishings Business, a monthly magazine focused
on business strategies/best practices and news for furniture retailing, in late
2005, where I'm senior editor.

Davidson folks I've kept up with include the family of the late Larry Hall --I'm
godfather to his son, Roy, and daughter, Tate. Roy's joined me on regular summer
trips to the back country of the Sierra Nevada. Also Frank Fields and Terry
McDonald. I try to keep up with Buck Banks, who lives in Miami now; and always
run into Mike Harris, who works with a leather upholstery manufacturer, at
furniture trade shows.

Recently, I went to the Davidson-Butler game with Dave Gleim (another I'm in
regular contact with), Butch Beard and Frank. Enjoyed visiting with Wayne Cross
and his son afterward, along with Kevin and Sherri Doughterty.

We were all asked at work to set up facebook pages, and that's put me back in
touch with several old Davidson friends, including Marc Jacowitz, Bill Sherwood
and Reese Jenkins.

I've been pretty lucky in that growing up, I always wanted to travel, and my
work has taken me on extended trips to some interesting parts of the world,
including the Philippines, China, Vietnam, Singapore, Germany, Spain, southern
Brasil and Mexico. My wife and I also have spent a lot of time in Scotland,
which along with the Sierra Nevada, is where I like to go on my on dime.

Hope you're well, and hope to catch up with you in person at a reunion one of
these days. Their proximity to the High Point furniture market has kept me from
attending for some years, but I plan to change that since HFB doesn't produce
daily editions at the show.

Cheers,
Powell

No comments: