The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Laura Stevenson

Dear Bruce
Congratulations on your son's achievements. Being a procrastinator, I have only made it up to middle school with the older child and the younger one is still in elementary school. I have a reflection about Dr. Nelson that I would like to share. When I was a sophomore taking macro economics, I was the only female in a class of about twenty-five. Dr. Nelson always called on two students each day: me and somebody else. After two weeks, the pattern was pretty obvious. People would come up to me outside of the classroom and suggest that I complain to Dr. Terry. I didn't do that because I realized that Dr. Nelson was actually doing me a favor by forcing me to be prepared each day. And she continued to call on me every single class for the rest of the quarter. In all my conversations with Dr. Nelson, she never brought up her questioning procedure in that class, but right before graduation she gave me some advice: "Don't cut your hair," which was waist length. I didn't follow that particular piece of advice, but I think it reveals a side of Dr. Nelson that most people would never have imagined possible.
Regards
Laura Stevenson

No comments: