The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Monday, September 8, 2008

Joe Craig


In April, 2006, I reacquainted myself with the fine art of cramming for an exam at the last possible moment and managed to pass the North Carolina Wildlife Commission's examination to become a licensed falconer. In September of '06, I trapped a wild juvenile Redtail hawk, named her Fiona, and trained her to hunt squirrels. I had a blast with her for nearly a year and a half, until I broke my leg on December 17 while hunting with her in somewhat rough terrain. It was slow to heal and so I felt it best to let her regain her freedom.

On April 20 of this year, I took her to the D.C. campus, where I met Dr. Mark Stanback, a professor in the Biology Department who has an interest in raptors. We let her go right in between Phi and Eu Halls after giving her a big sendoff meal of freshly-thawed roadkill squirrel. I chose Davidson because I've never seen so many of the varmints in my life than right there! In fact, I'd obtained permission to hunt her on campus during the Christmas break just before my unfortunate mishap.

I plan to trap another young Redtail in September and do it all over again ...

Joe Craig

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Joe,

I had no idea that in your spare time away from "the court" you were hunting with a hawk! Fascinating! I remember your bass "Ernest T" at DC. We have several hawks in our neighborhood who would love to carry our feisty corgi off to parts unknown. Any good trials lately? Hope your family is doing well.

Mary (Amos) Krick