The Clifford Trio

The Clifford Trio

Monday, September 8, 2008

Matt Horne

In the spirit of solidarity with your looming deadline (I preach every Sunday, it's a common occurrence with me to be figuring out the sermon's conclusion as I step to the pulpit).

After 30 years commissioned service in the Regular Army and Army Reserve, I retired as a Chaplain in the Reserves at the begnning of June. Little did I suspect when I signed up for the ROTC Military Science 1 Course in the basement of Belk in 1974 that I would travel this road and get to see so many parts of the world on the Army's nickel. The week of my retirement, my 16 year old daughter Sally was elected to be State Adjutant General at South Carolina Girl's State. It took me 30 years to finish as a colonel, and here she was a major general after one week's work! I was a proud poppa at her swearing in, and have been adjusting to calling her "Ma'am." I don't draw retired pay until age 60, when I get to stick it to my fellow classmate taxpayers, and (of course) up my Annual Fund pledge to Davidson. Go Cats!


Matt Horne

No comments: